Through endurance, and through the encouragement of the Scriptures, we might have hope. May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, that together we may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Romans 15:4b-6







Saturday, March 12, 2011

Be Still

Be still before the Lord
& wait patiently for Him. (Ps 37:7)


As we have gone through the fifth week since leaving one coast for another, I am learning to be still before the Lord. In my previous life, this was a schedule challenge. I had to purposefully sit still, & mostly only my spirit was actually sitting still.
A whole new challenge is added since now I am often physically sitting still. I'm still caring for my children, still helping in the kitchen, still reorganizing box contents. But mostly, my mind is still. I'm not planning Audrey's grocery list, I haven't been able to start school with Max yet & Jon is often around spending time with the children. That lenghty Word document of lists for Ghana, a source of both calm and anxiety (all you list lovers understand!), remains closed.
The challenge in sitting still is forcing my mind join the seating arrangment. It is off in the land of frustration, impatience, remember when, I wonder when.......
Ah, how the Deceiver enjoys tempting me with these!
She watches over her household and does not eat the bread of idleness (Prov. 31:27)
I am working to choose to watch over my household. For now, the physical chores are less, but the mental battle has just begun. I am chooseing today to tutor my idle mind in that beautiful peace that passes understanding & to grow in the knowledge of Jesus through His Word.I hope you'll join me!
Here is a glimpse into our week. Humble though it was, we are grateful for continued good health & great hosts here in Pokuase.


Elle is enjoying a juice box from the cold store down the street from our house. A little bit of happiness for 80 pesawas isn't a bad deal. :) The owner, Isaac, also sells provisions so I'll be able to buy basic things like oil, tomato paste, rice & of course, minerals.


I'm thinking my dear Elle isn't the only little girl on the planet who likes to snack. But she is one of the most persistant. One night this week, we couldn't find her. Anywhere. In a gated yard, that makes you wonder if she got outside the gate and wondered down the street. That would be very unlike her, but she was no where to be found. She was found behind the closed pantry door deep in a bag of strawberry rice krispies. Her first words to me were" Look, Mom, they're pink!" Further escapades into the Bontrager's treat stash in the pantry has earned her quite a reputation!The boy brigade has barred the pantry door to keep Elle out. This ingenious work includes a strap, a stick that will fall if she touched the handle, a stick propping the door shut and several stools. Their success was limited since they were soon off to another adventure, leaving the pantry-guarding to the cooks. :)



A walk down the block to a certain yellow & red house, shows this almost done, very cool staircase. The welding equipment is there, where is the welder? :)
These stairs are in our bedroom. They lead to our only upstairs room. It is small, but perfect for the boys. They especially like having their own small balcony.

Through the doorway is our bathroom. It is a bright white...awaiting many dirty feet. ;)
The other side of the bathroom leads into Elle's room.
I am waiting to give a complete tour until we move in...or until you come & visit. :)
Our favorites about the new house: high, high ceilings, large closets & huge windows.
And tile! Everywhere!
The challenges: Americans like curtains (even if they are just for pretty more than privacy)! The windows are so big, I'm thinking of giving up before I start. The louvers are mirrored, so privacy isn't an issue. Also, the two bathrooms with showers are mainly glossy white. Fine for magazines, but in real life....

I am standing to take this picture at edge of the highway that passes our street. A sharp right over the big pothole at the sign for District Court, Pokuase brings you down our street. Jon is just leaving the provisions shop on the right. The first street right, just past the stack of blocks, is Ron & Audrey's street. Our house is on the left, look for the red roof just in front of the two story building under construction.



Last night we enjoyed an evening at home while the Bontragers went out with friends. We played whiffle ball til almost dark, made dinner & were enjoying it when the power went off. When all goes pitch black & silent, the little ones still cry, Max hollers for a flashlight & Jon feels his way to get the matches & flashlights.
Dishes by candlelight are not such a bad thing. It gave me a few moments care for my household and be still before the Lord. The quiet, in this noisy house, was welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Love the Pink Rice Krispies, Elle!! A big kiss from Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "door guard" makes me smile. I love your spiral staircase! How cool! It's fun to see glimpses of your home-to-be,and I'm looking forward to the "tour." It looks like you're going to have a very nice place to live. I can only imagine how much you must be looking forward to having a nest of your own for your family. After living with another whole family, living with just one big guy,(namely Adrian :)) might be a breeze. The latest plans are still subject to change, but it looks like he and Dave will be traveling to Africa on May 21.

    ReplyDelete